As near as I can remember, it was about 6:30pm, approx. 2 hours after my accident, when we arrived at the ER. Luckily, there were few people ahead of us, unusual for this Regional Trauma Center. They checked us in and we were quickly taken to the examination areas. I was taken to an area, Kaitlin in tow, where a young male nurse evaluated my situation. He quickly gave me a shot of morphine in my left arm and a tetanus shot in my right arm. I was feeling very chilled and he gave me a warmed blanket to wrap around myself until they came to get me and take me for xrays. Xrays confirmed a double dislocated distal radial fracture. Great!!
By this time I realized that we had not eaten dinner and Kaitlin was probably starving. When I mentioned to her about being hungry she proceeded to show my what she had packed in her backpack while waiting for the arrival of Lisa and Ken. In the bag were bottles of water, yogurt (with spoons), granola bars and lots of change for vending machines! Also in the bag was a jacket for her and a pair of sweatpants to change into from her shorts. She's amazing.
The ER proceeded to put a "sugar tongue" cast on my wrist/arm and wrap it with an ace bandage, basically what I had done at home with a rolled up newspaper and ace bandage. They sent me home with a prescription and orders to see my regular doctor.
No comments:
Post a Comment