Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Accident

It was a beautiful late Sunday afternoon about 4:30pm, 4/11/10, and my daughter, Kaitlin, and I had been outside in the driveway shooting hoops, riding her Razor, and just hanging out. We were finishing up what had been a great weekend. The weather was turning chilly and windy and as I turned to say to Kaitlin that I was feeling chilled and I was going inside I found myself heading towards the ground in the middle of the street. It seemed to happen in slow-motion, slow enough for me to think, "this is not going to be good"! Within seconds I found myself sitting on the asphalt holding my left wrist and yelling to Kaitlin to help me up. Thank God there were no cars driving down our very quiet street.

Kaitlin helped me up and we headed up the driveway to sit on the front porch. I was feeling a little light headed and new that a trip to the ER would follow. She quickly got ice to put on my swelling wrist and hand and then 600mg of Ibuprofen. I could tell by the disfiguration of my wrist that it was broken and the pain increased each time it was moved. I knew that I had to immobilize it and help stabilize it, but with what. Rolled up newspaper and an ace bandage was all I could come up with but it worked. None of our neighbors were home so a call to a friend from church was the next option. When Lisa and her husband, Ken, arrived they quickly loaded me into their SUV and proceeded to Northridge Hospital ER.

No comments:

Post a Comment